WWF is looking for a Senior Specialist, Sustainable Development
Director, WWF Global Arctic Programme
Type of employment
Final application date
Date of publication
- Lead the implementation of WWF’s sustainable development efforts in the Arctic and ensures that sustainability is prioritized over exploitation in the Arctic.
- Represent WWF at international organizations, meetings, and conferences. Strategize, develop,and provide expert advice toward and lead WWF sustainable development initiatives.
- Build, strengthen, and diversify relationships with external partners in government, industry, finance, and the non-governmental community, and with Indigenous People’s organizations.
- Build relationships within the WWF network and lead a WWF Sustainable Development Working Group.
- Initiate WWF’s efforts on investment and finance as it relates to sustainable development in the Arctic.
- Develop frameworks, screening products, and other tools that engage different stakeholders, including insurance and investment, oil and gas, and shipping sectors; Arctic communities; governments; and renewable energy companies.
- Monitor regional and global developments in industry, science, policy, and trends in sustainable development, as well as emerging threats to the Arctic due to climate change.
- Develop policy, positions, and community outreach materials and contribute to communications messages.
- Submit interventions and policy recommendations to international bodies.
- Support fundraising and administration: identify new sources of funding, develop and submit fundraising proposals, and pursue and steward relationships with new donors in coordination with WWF colleagues.
- Either Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline for example, social sciences, sciences, policy, economics, business.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Arctic development operations and challenges, including key sectors (investment, oil and gas, energy, fishing, infrastructure, and shipping).
- Excellent leadership, management, coordination, motivational, and interpersonal skills, including strong experience coordinating / leading virtual remote teams.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in Arctic development discussions, understanding Indigenous perspectives is an asset.
The position is ideally based in a WWF office in Europe, but other locations will be considered. However please observe that the possible hosting offices will be confirmed during the application process.